This Vegetarian Butternut Squash Quinoa Soup is delicious, easy to make, and the perfect choice for a delightful dinner. The soup comes together by combining vegetables and quinoa, making it a healthy and delicious choice.
The ingredients you’ll need to make this Butternut Squash Quinoa Soup are very simple. I got one large butternut squash, which I peeled, removed the seeds, and cut into large chunks. I save some of those to roast in the oven, or you can make multiple batches of this soup and keep it in the freezer for whenever you feel like having a hot bowl of soup. I also added carrots, celery, onions, and some quinoa. For the quinoa, I used the organic multicolor but plain works fine.
This soup will not be complete without adding garlic, a few flavorful spices, and some fresh basil. Just with all this, the soup is insanely tasty. However, it doesn’t end here. I added coconut milk to make the soup creamier and thicker. It also adds a very subtle coconut taste. Make sure to use full-fat coconut milk for better results. If you are not a coconut milk fan, substitute using heavy cream or greek yogurt.
One of the spices I decided to add to this soup is chili powder. The chili powder adds a delightful little kick to this soup to balance the natural soup sweetness.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Butternut squash
- Onions+ Shallots
- Fresh basil
- Vegetable broth
- Coconut milk
- Avocado oil
- Chili powder
How to make Butternut Squash Quinoa Soup
The first step is to rinse, peel and dice the vegetables.
Next, in a large soup pot warm, add 1 teaspoon of avocado oil over medium heat. Then, add the chopped onion, shallots, garlic, and salted for about 2 -3 minutes.
Then, add carrots, celery, and 4 to 5 cups of vegetable broth ( 24 to 32 ounces). Stir to combine.
Next, add 1-2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1/3 teaspoon cumin, and add the butternut squash ( About 2 1/2 cups, 1/3 cup quinoa, and some fresh basil.
Cover the pot and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender. Then, transfer some butternut squash pieces into a blender, add some liquid from the soup ( 1-2 tablespoons ), and blend for 3 minutes. Add the mixture to the soup. Add some water if you feel it needs it. It depends on the consistency you desire.
Next, add 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Stir and cover the pot. Let the soup cook for 10 extra minutes or until the soup has the desired creamy consistency.
This soup came out insanely tasty!
Below you will find a convenient printable recipe card. Please, feel free to leave any comments and suggestions. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Vegetarian Butternut Squash Quinoa Soup
- 2 ½ cups butternut squash peel and dice
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium onion peel and dice
- 2 shallots peel and dice
- 3 cloves garlic peel and minced
- ⅓ cup celery peel and dice
- ⅓ cup quinoa
- 3 to 4 cups of vegetable broth 24 to 32 ounces
- ½ cup coconut milk full-fat
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- A handful fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ⅓ teaspoon cumin
How to make Butternut Squash Quinoa Soup
- The first step is to rinse, peel and dice the vegetables.
- Next, in a large soup pot warm, add one teaspoon of avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, shallots, and garlic, and salted for about 2 -3 minutes.
- Then, add carrots, celery, and 4 to 5 cups of vegetable broth ( 24 to 32 ounces). Stir to combine.
- Next, add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric, ⅓ teaspoon cumin, 1-2 teaspoons of salt, depending on your taste.
- Add the butternut squash ( 2 1/2 cups), 1/3 cup quinoa, and some fresh basil.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender.
- Then, transfer some pieces of the butternut squash into a blender, add some liquid from the soup ( 1-2 tablespoons ) and blend for 3 minutes. Add the mixture to the soup. Add some water if you feel it needs it. It depends on the consistency you desire.
- Next, add ½ cup coconut milk (full-fat). Stir and cover the pot.
- Let the soup cook over medium-low heat for ten extra minutes or until the soup has the desired creamy consistency.